Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It came from the back of my closet.
Way deep amongst the textures of wools and tweeds; alongside the softest of cottons and silks.
Where the shirts are embroidered with soft pastel shades, their lapels held together with tiny glass buttons, handmade sweaters, hats and scarves.
Jeans of all types; blue jeans, dungarees (as my Daddy would say) skinny jeans, bell bottoms from the 70's ( yup, I can still fit' em) and my most favorite and highly cherished Levis; bourne as a gift unto me, upon the birth of our second son.
There are several linen dresses all within a shade or two of one another, ironed neatly but still looking wrinkled by nature.
While the shoes lean against one another they gaze freely upwards to the pocketbooks on the top shelf; one real FENDI bag, two real COACH, one real DOUNEY & BURKE, a shared but real VERA WANG clutch, several Liz Clairborne, KateSpade, Kenneth Cole, and a totally fake $20.00 CHANEL purse purchased in the back room of a Korean variety store on the streets of New York City.
All this to say;
While GOD is continually blessing us what are we doing to make the necessary measures to BAG all our worries and problems upon onset?
With yesterdays blog and all the talk of the Devil leaving his baggage with us, I wondered what I needed to do to avoid him leaving half his mess behind for me to deal with!

So there I am, sitting on the side of my bed, looking to my closet, sizing up the situation.

For those of you who know me, thoughts come from everywhere with me.
I have been told I speak abstract, walk alongside Webster and should "rest" when I guess I am getting too deep, rambling on, or just thinking too much!

There is a song on the hip hop station which refers to bagging what's yours, I believe the chorus chimes in with "throw it in the bag!".
Too often we hold on to too much.
As I scan the closet, I wonder how much of these things I really need.
Even tho I have raked thru every single shred of material several times in the last three months, I still have too much stuff!
Some things are just too sentimental for me to part with.
They remain a very part of my soul.
I mean how can you toss a heart shaped rock given to you by your son?
Or handmade jewelry by your artist daughter?
Or the bottled dried roses from your 50th birthday, hand drawn cartoons on aged yellowed napkin, or a stuffed hand sewn penguin made in the 3rd grade?
But as our walk with Jesus states, we are here to spread the Word of God.
Material things are our least concern.
We live for that Eternal Life He has promised us.
Everything else is just already the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment