Thursday, June 11, 2009

Down by The River Noel Gourdin

Lately my blogs have been mostly about my boys;
(My daughter and I are outnumbered).
So I thought I would blog her in, so to speak...
This song is the ringtone on her phone.
You know how I love words and Noel Gourdin's lyrics impress me greatly.
Its raining again, sit back and drink a cup of something good and soothe your soul as you digest his words.

Noel Gourdin Lyrics:

The River
Growin’ up, it was tough
We were glad for what little we had
I saw my share of old fair Mississippi
Dirt roads and confederate flags
Everyday my father would tell me
Son, run and don’t never come back
That’s where I left my girl
That’s where my heart is at, and oh
CHORUS
I held my breath when they dipped my head
Then I came up shiny and new
Found out about love in the back of my Impala
Where they laid my grandfather too
Down by the river
Where black folks gather
After Sunday service is through
How the river runs to the ocean
I’ll be runnin’ right back to you

I got along, I’m movin’ on
I bandaged the scars up well
I think of her, then I seem to wait
For a card or a letter in the mail
I walk the beach with the sand in my feet
Place my ear to a shell
I wonder if you miss me too
Coz I been longin’ to get to you
I’m sick of starin’ out my window sill
I’m tired of hopin’ she remembers me still
I’m packin’ my bags, I said I’m goin’ back home
To the place where I belong
The river
And if she’s there when I get there
I’m never gonna leave her again
You see, she stole my heart
Down by the river
So I’m packin’ up my suitcase
Bought me a one-way fare
I’m leavin’ everything behind me
But in my heart I always care
And I’ll still be right there
Thank you baby
Coz nothin’ can replace that part in my life, and ..

No comments:

Post a Comment