Tuesday, July 07, 2009

First Moments

Last night or I should say early this morning; I woke up abruptly to the thought of "first things".
I have no idea where the thought came from.
I ate no bananas before retiring.
(They say, bananas make you dream).
It was all I could do to try to sleep and not think of the first time I did something or, things I had done only once.
This lasted for hours.
I remained somewhere in the midst of twilight roaming back and forth thru latter days and dreaming of future things to come.
I thought about the first time I pumped gas, the first time I opened a checking account. My first loan.
I thought about the first day of kindergarten.
That same day, my Mother took my brother to the train station to join the Armed Forces.
Whoa, Hmmmmm...not sure I coulda' pulled that one off as a Mom.
I thought about the first full meal I prepared for my Daddy.
Oh! He was so kind. So loving, so patient.
Broiled chicken was my first attempt; however the chicken took forever to cook all the way through. This was in the days before the microwave. So you can just imagine. The skin was black and burnt. The meat still pink. We ended up eating probably around 9pm but my Dad was ever so grateful for my meal.

Then somewhere in there the thoughts transferred to things I had done only once. I immediately felt the wind hit my face and the rumble in my tummy became greater until I realized it was Malcolm who I was thinking of...is it skydove?!!
No, skydived.

But then it shifted...
It was me at SIX FLAGS on the ELEVATOR ride.
Last summer I was with my little autistic buddy, Stephan at SIX FLAGS.
We laughed and giggled and because he isn't quite as comfortable as a mainstream child waiting in line, he gets a special pass to come to the front of the line.
So we anticipated riding this one at least 5 times in a row.
In the seat we go.
We sit side by side and he is in Heaven with excitement ooozing out of his pores. I am, scared.
The attendant locks us in securely and up we go.
To the top, probably 100 mph, straight up! WHOOOSH****
Then, we come down just as fast!
Now, he's elated and I am ready for that tiny looking bench I zoomed in on, on the way down.
"Again!!! he screams.
We crash the line and hop right back in the seat one more time.
Only this time, I check his seat belt.
The bell rings and up we go...one more time at 100 mph.
Except this time, my metal seat belt knocks me in my tooth.
It is clearly unbuckled, unsecured, and flapping in my face.
Suddenly I am atop the world with only an over -the -head bumper type of harness that can fly upward at any given moment and suck me out...
Suddenly, looking over the tree tops is no longer appealing.
Instantly, I think, what happens if I should fall out of this seat?
Traffic was congested enough getting into the park.
Imagine the chaos of EMTs, Park Police and spectators beneath this turbulent ride.
The ride swoops down to the ground and all I hear is Stephan screaming "AGAIN!!!".
We have landed safely.
I check to see if I've wet my pants.

Altho this dream adventure was probably only ten minutes total, it seemed to be an eternity.
I thought about when I met famous folks for the first time.
About the only time I spoke in front of a large crowd.
I thought about the only car I've purchased all by myself.
Then I thought about jalapeno cheese bread, again!
Memories are awesome.
Take some time today to enjoy the joys of this Journey.
They are plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment