Monday, June 22, 2009

Buggin'



It was getting later in the day and my schedule was still full. Spending longer than expected with friends and celebrating Father's Day was exciting, but draining. It wasn't until Sunday at 5pm that I headed back towards home, the car filled with luggage and trinkets to remind me of the memories I would hold close for a long time to come.


The Parkway was empty travelling southbound. The hills and curves are all so familiar. Having travelled this way many a morning, my mind drifts backwards, slowly, remembering all the wonderful conversations my son and I had when we rode back and forth to school, the changing of the seasons, the traffic jams and all the favorite songs blasting on the radio.
I arrived at my exit sooner than expected.
At the last moment, I decided to take the long way home and incorporate a few more tasks along the way.
The cemetery is only a short drive down the road.
So I journey to the sacred spot where my Dad is buried.
I pass the many headstones, some covered in moss due to the rainy weather we have entailed.
The names remind me of certain people places and things.
My grandparents are buried smack dab between two other headstones with the same (last) names of two of their dear friends.
How strange I think.
What are the chances of that?
They also lie next to a couple who they were friends with forever.
Its like "old home week" I think.
But then it never ceases to amaze me, the Awesomeness of GOD and His Universe!
A dog runs rapidly thru the grounds, peeing and pooping and barking joyfully as if he has just entered the Disneyland of dog parks.
His familiarity causes me to wonder, even more.
Does he really know where he is?
While children roam the north side of street in search for their loved ones,
I realize I am standing perfectly still; observing; somewhat dazed.
The ringer on my phone alerts me; I was deep in thought.
On the screen of my phone shines the most brilliant picture of my California (other) Dad's headstone.
I am stifled, standing perfectly still; no breath, tears, gasp! shrug or yelp.
I fumble my way to my phone and immediately proceed to take a picture of my Dad's headstone.
Then, flying in like a war zoned jet pilot, buzzing frantically by me this HUGE insect lands on the top of Dad's headstone.
CLICK.
"SEND", I command and the picture is off to cyberspace.
The bug remains, its landing strip equipped with a make-shift tarpaulin of wet leaves.
Now, for those of you who know me, I don't dislike bugs, but I ain' t looking to make a Life long friendship either.
This insect never moved the entire 2 hours I sat and talked to my Dad.
He let me photograph him at all angles.
With a few closeup shots bumping him in the head!
He watched me twirl in the summer rain.
My full skirted cotton dress soaked.
The colors running together, the dress is now looking like the canopy over a merry- go- round.
The bug is patient with my antics and remains by my side.
I continue praising GOD for such a rare occassion, this summer rainstorm.
OH! How it has soothed my soul!
The bug gazes at me with question in his buggy eyes, when I cried about a certain situation I needed help with.
He smirked when I told Dad that I can hammer now, and I am pretty good at it.
He seemed to swell up with pride upon the news of my son's new purchase.
When it was time to go I said "goodbye" and took a few steps toward the car when I remembered I had not told my Dad I loved him.
This type of bug I never seen in my entire Life, before Sunday.
Yeah, I know I am running outta topics to write about, but before you call me crazy...
and for those of you who Believe, Our Living God has such a sense of humor... just as my Dad did.
I said my Iloveyou's and no sooner had I blown a kiss, he flew away.
Almost like the wind of my breath lifted him up, took him on, to where ever his next assignment was.
Take another look at Our Creator's Handiwork and tell me he isn't the cutest bug you've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment